South Downs Local Plan
This page contains information on the South Downs Local Plan as well as a number of related topics.
The Local Plan sets the policies against which planning applications will be considered and allocates land for a variety of uses. In April 2018 we submitted the first Local Plan for the whole of the South Downs National Park to the Government for examination. When adopted, the new South Downs Local Plan will replace the existing planning policies operating across the South Downs National Park.
Submission of the South Downs Local Plan
All of the updated evidence and supporting documents (including the Consultation Statement , Habitats Regulations Assessment 2018 and Sustainability Appraisal Report) can be viewed in the Core Document Library on the Examination page. The Examination page contains information about the examination process and will be updated regularly.
You can also view all representations and comments made in response to the publication of the Pre-submission Local Plan.
We have prepared a series of background papers which summarise the information in the technical documents.
- Landscape Background Paper
- Development Strategy Background Paper
- Neighbourhood Development Plans Background Paper
- Ecosystem Services Background Paper
- Affordable Housing Background Paper
- Housing Update Background Paper
- Supply of Homes Background Paper
- Settlement Boundary Review Background Paper
- Gypsy & Traveller Background Paper
- Biodiversity Background Paper
- Transport Background Paper
- Sites and Settlements Background Paper
- Open Space Sports and Recreation Background Paper
- Agriculture and Forestry Background Paper
- Employment Background Paper
- Sites and Settlements Route Map
- Flooding Background Paper
Local Plan timetable
The timetable (SDNPA Local Development Scheme March 2018) for the Local Plan is as follows:
|Options Consultation||18||February – April 2014|
|Preferred Options Consultation||18||September – October 2015|
|Pre-Submission Consultation||19||September – November 2017|
|Submission to Secretary of State||22||Spring 2018|
Brownfield Register and Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment
The SDNPA is required to prepare a Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) to support the preparation of the Local Plan.