Self-Build and Custom Build
Are you interested in self-build or custom build housing?
We are setting up a register of people who are interested in self build or custom build projects in this area.
This register will help us find out more about the demand for custom and self-build plots in the South Downs National Park, where people would like their plot to be and the type of house that they would like to build.
- What is self-build? What is custom build?
Until recently building your own home was known as ‘self-build’. In 2011, the term ‘custom build housing’ was introduced in the Government’s Housing Strategy for England.
Self-build projects are defined as those where someone directly organises the design and construction of their own home. This covers a wide range of projects including a traditional DIY self-build home to projects where the self-builder employs someone to build their home for them. Community-led projects can also be defined as self-build.
Custom build homes are where you work with a developer as an individual or a group to help deliver your own home. The developer may help to find a plot, manage the construction and arrange the finance for your new home. This is more of a hands-off approach but your home will be tailored to match your individual requirements.
Affordable housing may also be self-built.
- Self-build and custom-build register
So that we can get a realistic idea of local demand, we would ask that you only register if you can meet the following criteria:
- Be over 18 years of age;
- Be a British citizen, a national of a European Economic Area State, or a national of Switzerland;
- The property will be your main home
At this stage, you are making no commitment – we are just trying to find out how much local demand there is for self-build housing.
You are agreeing that we can use the data you provide to understand the demand for custom-build and self-build housing.
In preparing this register, we are making no commitment to provide self-build or custom-build plots.
The register will not be a public document, but we may publish headline data from it annually.
- How do I remove myself from the register?
We will remove an entry from the register within 28 days of receiving a written request from the individual or association representing that individual.
We will remove an entry from the register if we consider that they are no longer eligible for entry on the register and will notify them in writing.
- Further information and advice
If you have any queries about the registration, or would like a copy of the registration form sent to you, please contact the Planning Policy Team either:
By phone: 01730 814810
By email: email@example.com
By post: Planning Policy Team, South Downs Centre, North Street, Midhurst, West Sussex GU29 9DH or firstname.lastname@example.org
- External links
- Self-build and Custom Housing Act 2015 www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/17/contents/enacted/data.htm
- Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016 www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/105/contents/made
- The National Custom and Self-build Association website www.nacsba.org.uk
- The National Custom and Self-build Toolkit customandselfbuildtoolkit.org.uk/#