Local Access Forum
The South Downs Local Access Forum advises the National Park Authority and others on how best to manage access to the countryside in the National Park. There are seventeen members of the South Downs Local Access Forum who represent the views of land managers, users and others with an interest in countryside access. The main function of this group is to look at how the public rights of way network and access land is managed and improved. Forum members will also be asked to comment on broader access, transport and countryside subjects.
A Local Access Forum is a statutory body and, by law, the organisations that they give advice to must have regard to that advice.
A Local Access Forum needs to have a range of members that reflect the views of both land managers and recreational users of the countryside. The forum may also have members who represent the interests of conservation, tourism, people with disabilities, transport or other interests.
The function of the Local Access Forum is to advise on the improvement of public access to land for the purposes of open-air recreation and the enjoyment of the area.
In carrying out its functions, the Local Access Forum shall have regard to;
- The needs of land management
- The desirability of conserving the natural beauty of the area for which it is established, including the flora, fauna and geological and physiographical features of the area
The minutes of the South Downs Local Access Forum can be downloaded from the previous meetings section below.
- 20 July 2016 – South Downs Centre, Midhurst
- Item 2 – SDLAF_Minutes_unconfirmed
- Item 4 – Cheriton-Wood-_2016_Consultation_Map
- Item 4 – Cheriton-Wood-2016-Site-Notice
- Item 4 – Cheriton-Wood-Direction-Notice
- Item 4 – Cheriton-Wood-Initial-Consultation-Summary-Report
- Item 4 – Cheriton-Wood-SDLAF-Report-Review-of-direction
- Item 7- Meon Valley Trail – Inspection Points
- Item 7- Meon Valley Trail – Inspection Report
- 21 October 2016 – South Downs Centre, Midhurst
Minutes from Previous Meetings
- 26 April 2016 (Unconfirmed)
- 12 January 2016
- 27 October 2015
- 28 July 2015
- 22 April 2015
- 13 January 2015
- 15 October 2014
- 22 July 2014
- 1 April 2014
- 21 January 2014
- 17 October 2013
- 18 July 2013
- 18 April 2013
- 22 January 2013
- 9 October 2012
- 17 July 2012
- 24 April 2012
- 12 January 2012
- 13 October 2011
- 14 July 2011
- 16 May 2011
Terms of Reference
The South Downs Local Access Forum has Terms of Reference which sets out its purpose, membership, administration and voting procedures.
The South Downs Local Access Forum has also agreed its principles for aiming to reach consensus in making decisions about the advice it gives.
Local Access Forums were created by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000. For information on the regulations that govern how they are set up and run, as well as government guidance on how they work and what they do, visit Natural England’s Local Access Forums webpage.