Brownfield Land Register
The Authority maintains a brownfield land register. This lists brownfield sites in the National Park that may be suitable for residential (housing) development.
It should be noted that the presence of a site on the register does not imply that planning permission would be granted for residential development. The brownfield register is a high level assessment of potential housing availability. Determination of planning applications requires a higher level of detail and understanding of the site constraints. All planning applications incorporating residential development will continue to be considered against the appropriate policies, irrespective of whether or not it appears on the brownfield register, and having regard to any other material considerations.
The methodology should be read ahead of considering the register itself. Most site maps are available either through the planning application search facility (public access), or can be found in the relevant neighbourhood development plan or South Downs Local Plan. A few sites have bespoke maps specifically created for this version of the register and these are listed below.
The brownfield register will be updated periodically.
- SDB004 Former Easebourne School PDL, Easebourne
- SDB009 Stedham Sawmill PDL, Stedham
- SDB013 Former ICI site, Verdley Place, Fernhurst (PDL)
- SDB022 Former St Annes School site, Lewes (PDL)
- SDB030 Pells School site, Lewes (PDL)
- SDB037 Land south of A272, Hinton Marsh (PDL)
- SDB043 The Course Garage site, Lewes
- SDB061 Lewes Station Car Park East
- SDB065 Shoreham Cement Works (PDL)