South Downs Local Plan
The Local Plan sets the policies against which planning applications will be considered and allocates land for a variety of uses. In April 2018 the South Downs National Park Authority submitted the first Local Plan for the whole of the South Downs National Park to the Government for examination. Once adopted, the new South Downs Local Plan will replace the existing planning policies operating across the South Downs National Park.
The scheduled hearings for the Local Plan examination at Midhurst and Falmer have ended. Consultation on the Main Modifications to the Local Plan has now closed (see the Main Modifications webpage for further details).
The SDNPA has prepared an informal track-changed version of the Local Plan to include all Main Modifications and Minor Edits. This has been updated to include all changes made to the Local Plan text since submission, including changes made as a consequence of the Inspector’s post-hearing note INSP.16. Further minor factual edits resulting from the latest consultation may be necessary.
Note that this version is for information only, and subject to further change prior to adoption. Comments made on the Main Modifications public consultation should be based on the Main Modifications schedule, SDNPA.16 (See the Main Modifications webpage for further details).
Local Plan Examination
Following the hearings, Main Modifications have now been consulted on. Please see above for details on our Main Modifications Page.
All updated evidence and supporting documents are on pages:
- Representations Page All representations and comments made in response to the publication of the Pre-submission Local Plan
The following summarise the information in the technical documents.
- Landscape Background Paper (TLL01)
- Development Strategy Background Paper (TSF02)
- Neighbourhood Development Plans Background Paper (Core12)
- Ecosystem Services Background Paper (Core05)
- Affordable Housing Background Paper (TSF12)
- Housing Update Background Paper (TSF07a)
- Supply of Homes Background Paper (TSF07)
- Settlement Boundary Review Background Paper (TSF05)
- Gypsy & Traveller Background Paper (TSF14)
- Biodiversity Background Paper (TLL11)
- Transport Background Paper (PCP01)
- Sites and Settlements Background Paper (SS01)
- Open Space Sports and Recreation Background Paper (TSF40)
- Agriculture and Forestry Background Paper (TSF34)
- Employment Background Paper (TSF28)
- Sites and Settlements Route Map (SS02)
- Flooding Background Paper (SS03)
Local Plan timetable
The timetable (SDNPA Local Development Scheme Oct 2018) for the Local Plan is as follows:
|Options Consultation||18||February – April 2014|
|Preferred Options Consultation||18||September – October 2015|
|Pre-Submission Consultation||19||September – November 2017|
|Submission to Secretary of State||22||Spring 2018|
Brownfield Register and Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment
The SDNPA is required to prepare a Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) to support the preparation of the Local Plan.
Extensions and Replacement Dwellings Technical Advice Notice
The SDNPA has produced a Technical Advice Notice (or ‘TAN’) to aid decision-makers and applications in interpreting Policy SD30: Replacement Dwellings and Policy SD31: Extensions to existing Dwellings, Annexes and Outhouses. Please note that the basis for decision-making is the development plan.