Some people find the idea of a website storing information on their computer or mobile device a bit intrusive, particularly when this information is stored and used by a third party without them knowing. Although this is generally quite harmless you may not, for example, want to see advertising that has been targeted to your interests. If you prefer, it is possible to block some or all cookies, or even to delete cookies that have already been set; but you need to be aware that you might lose some functions of that website.

What is permitted development?

Permitted development means work that can be carried out without applying for planning permission.

You can find a simple guide to when planning permission is required on the Government’s Planning Portal website. (for permitted development National Parks are designated as article 1(5) land).

You can get an informal opinion on whether development is permitted using the Do I Need Planning Permission form.

Forms can be completed electronically, saved and emailed directly to the relevant authority or printed out, completed by hand and returned by post.

Where to send your form

Please note that all the required information and the fee, if applicable, must be submitted before we can deal with your enquiry.

More guidance and the legislation relating to permitted development can be found at:

Please note that the extended householder permitted development rights, which came into force on 30 May 2013 and were incorporated into The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015, do not apply within the South Downs National Park as it is classified as Article 2(3) land. Therefore, planning permission is likely to be required.

A Farmer’s Guide to agricultural permitted development rights

A guide has been produced to support farmers and landowners by providing them with detailed information on permitted development rights.

A Farmer’s Guide to Agricultural Permitted Development Rights