fbpx Skip to main content

Where to go for help with planning

Where to go for help with planning

The South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) is responsible for planning across the entire National Park and has Partnership Agreements with the local authorities operating within the National Park boundaries to ensure that planning-related matters are dealt with as efficiently and effectively as possible.

Five local authorities (“host” authorities) deal with all planning questions, advice and applications in their areas on behalf of the SDNPA, whilst National Park planning officers deal with all planning questions, advice and applications for the remaining seven the local authority areas (“recovered” authorities), as well as dealing with major applications.

All planning-related enquiries need to be made to the relevant local authority, this includes enquiries for:

  • Do I need planning permission?
  • Pre-application advice
  • Paying for planning applications
  • Specialist planning advice
  • Enforcement issues
  • Dealing with Minerals and Waste

To find out if property or land is within the SDNP, search our interactive map.

If you do not know what your Local Authority is, use the Find your local council tool on the GOV.UK website.


SDNPA planning officers deal with all planning-related matters in the following, “recovered” local authority areas:

  • Arun
  • Adur & Worthing
  • Brighton & Hove
  • Eastbourne
  • Mid-Sussex
  • Wealden
  • Minerals & Waste planning issues for Hampshire, East Sussex & West Sussex.

The SDNPA also deals with larger, major applications from any area of the Park, which are ‘called in’ and assigned to SDNPA planning case officers.

Address: South Downs Centre, North Street, Midhurst, West Sussex, GU29 9DH
Email: planning@southdowns.gov.uk
Phone: 01730 814810

Host Authorities

Although you’ll find general information about planning-related matters within the National Park on this website, all planning-related enquiries within the following “host” local authority areas need to go to the local authority concerned.

Chichester District Council

Development Services, Chichester District Council, East Pallant House, 1 East Pallant, Chichester, PO19 1TY

East Hampshire District Council

Planning Development, East Hampshire District Council, Penns Place, Petersfield, GU31 4EX

Horsham District Council

Development Management, Horsham District Council, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham, RH12 1RL

Lewes District Council

Planning Services, Lewes District Council, Southover House, Southover Road, Lewes, BN7 1AB

Winchester City Council

Planning, Winchester City Council, City Offices, Colebrook Street, Winchester, SO23 9LJ


"The Downs...too much for one pair of eyes, enough to float a whole population in happiness."