Encouraging high quality design
The South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) is committed to encouraging high quality, contextually sensitive and sustainable landscape and building design within the National Park. The SDNP Design Review Panel was formed in September 2012 to support this aim.
It is supported by the 2012 National Planning Policy Framework, which states that planning authorities should have design review arrangements in place and, in assessing applications, should have regard to the recommendations from the panel.
Role of the panel
The SDNP’s Design Review Panel has a broad range of members which includes distinguished landscape architects, architects and other professions that may contribute to a full assessment. Many of the current members are closely connected with the South Downs and have a keen interest in its environment.
The panel meets monthly and reviews a wide range of proposals affecting all areas of the National Park.
While the role of the panel is purely advisory, the panel’s comments carry a lot of weight. Panel reports are addressed in planning committee reports and may be used at public enquiry.
For further information contact the National Park Authority’s Design Officer at:
South Downs National Park Authority,
South Downs Centre,
Midhurst, West Sussex,
Panel meetings typically take place on the 18th of the month, or the first working day after this should it fall on a weekend or bank holiday. Meeting dates will occasionally change in order to help everyone involved to get the most out of them.
- Design Review Panel 18th November 2016
- Design Review Panel 19th December 2016
- Design Review Panel 18th January 2017
- Design Review Panel 21st February 2017
- Design Review Panel 20th March 2017
- Design Review Panel 18th April 2017
- Design Review Panel 18th May 2017
- Design Review Panel 19th June 2017
- Design Review Panel 18th July 2017
- Design Review Panel 18th August 2017
- Design Review Panel 18th September 2017
- Design Review Panel 18th October 2017
- Design Review Panel 20th November 2017
- Design Review Panel 18th December 2017