Encouraging high quality design
The South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) is committed to encouraging high quality, contextually sensitive and sustainable landscape and building design within the National Park. The SDNP Design Review Panel was formed in September 2012 to support this aim.
It is supported by the 2012 National Planning Policy Framework, which states that planning authorities should have design review arrangements in place and, in assessing applications, should have regard to the recommendations from the panel.
Role of the panel
The SDNP’s Design Review Panel has a broad range of members which includes distinguished landscape architects, architects and other professions that may contribute to a full assessment. Many of the current members are closely connected with the South Downs and have a keen interest in its environment.
The panel meets monthly and reviews a wide range of proposals affecting all areas of the National Park.
While the role of the panel is purely advisory, the panel’s comments carry a lot of weight. Panel reports are addressed in planning committee reports and may be used at public enquiry.
For further information contact the National Park Authority’s Design Officer at:
South Downs National Park Authority,
South Downs Centre,
Midhurst, West Sussex,
Meeting dates will occasionally change in order to help everyone involved to get the most out of them.
- Design Review Panel 22nd January 2019 – AGM
- Design Review Panel 19th February 2019
- Design Review Panel 19th March 2019
- Design Review Panel 23rd April 2019
- Design Review Panel 21st May 2019
- Design Review Panel 18th June 2019
- Design Review Panel 16th July 2019
- Design Review Panel 22nd August 2019
- Design Review Panel 24th September 2019
- Design Review Panel 22nd October 2019
- Design Review Panel 19th November 2019
- Design Review Panel 12th December 2019