Duty Planning Officer Service
We offer general planning advice over the phone or in person via our free to use duty planning officer service.
This service only relates to the areas of the following districts which are within the National Park:
To check if you are within one of these areas please see a map of the National Park.
Should your enquiry relate to the East Hampshire, Chichester, Horsham, Lewes, and Winchester areas within the National Park please contact the relevant authority.
Our service offers you the opportunity to speak with a SDNPA planning officer for general planning advice between 10am to 12:30pm, Monday to Wednesday.
Please call our reception on 01730 814810 to speak with the duty planning officer during these times.
You can also visit our offices during these times without an appointment to speak with the duty planning officer. This is on a ‘first come first served’ basis. However, a 15min appointment can be booked via our reception.
- What our service includes
- General advice on planning considerations, policies, and permitted development rights.
- How to apply for pre-application advice and what this service involves.
- How to apply for planning permission and our requirements for validating planning applications.
- General details about any constraints on or surrounding a site.
- Direct you to other authorities which you may need to contact (eg. County Highways Authority, Environment Agency, Natural England, Historic England).
- Advice on pre-application and planning application fees.
- What not to expect from this service
- Any written advice subsequent to your enquiry.
- Confirmation on whether a proposal is permitted development.
- Advice on whether you will achieve planning permission.
- An in-depth analysis of a specific proposal.
- Specialist advice (eg. from our conservation, landscape and design officers).
- Receiving payments for pre-application or planning application fees.
Planning Officers do not have a detailed knowledge of using the Planning Portal for the submission of planning applications, but we will try to help particularly if your query is about the information you are submitting.
You can call the Planning Portal’s customer service helpline on 0333 323 4589 or email email@example.com
This service should not be used to request an update on any current planning application or pre-application enquiry. You should make contact with your case officer.
All advice given as part of this service constitutes an informal opinion of a SDNPA Planning Officer based on the information provided. It shall not prejudice, or be binding upon, the Authority in making future planning decisions.
We may keep a record of your personal details and the nature of your enquiry for internal purposes only. For more information on your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GPDR) and how we will manage your information please see our Privacy Statement.