fbpx Skip to main content

Paying for Planning Applications

Paying for Planning Applications

All payments for planning applications need to be made to the Local Authority dealing with the application area.

To find which authority to contact, check Who deals with my planning enquiry/application?

To find out how much you need to pay, see our How Much Does It Cost? page.

Ways to Pay

Note that we no longer accept cheques as payment.

IMPORTANT – Advance notice – due to systems maintenance, there will be no facility to make card payments online, on Sunday 14th April 2024.

To make sure your payment is correctly identified and linked to your submission please use the planning reference number (which starts with SDNP/ for existing applications, or ‘pp’ for new applications) OR you can use the first line of the address of the application.

  • To pay by card or BACS Transfer
    • For Adur & Worthing, Arun, Brighton & Hove, East Sussex, Eastbourne, Mid-Sussex, Wealden, West Sussex and Hampshire, you can pay over the phone by debit or credit card, by calling 01730 814810 and asking for the Technical Support Team.
    • For Chichester, East Hampshire, Horsham, Lewes or Winchester, please contact the relevant planning service, stating that you wish to make a pre-application or for a planning application payment for a South Downs National Park Authority application.

    To find which authority to contact, check Who deals with my planning enquiry/application?

Important Notice

Please use your Planning Portal (PP), SDNPA reference number (if received) or the 1st line of the address to reference your payment.

This will ensure payments are linked to the correct application.

Failure to properly reference your payment may result in the payment not being identified as relating to planning, and this could delay validating your case.


"The Downs...too much for one pair of eyes, enough to float a whole population in happiness."