fbpx Skip to main content

General Planning Enquiries

General Planning Enquiries

  • Who deals with planning in the National Park?

    The SDNPA has a unique partnership with the local authorities within the National Park.

    If you live in:

    • Adur and Worthing
    • Arun
    • Brighton and Hove
    • Mid-Sussex
    • Wealden

    Then the SDNPA is responsible for the planning and enforcement matters within those areas. These are commonly referred to as the Recovered Areas.

    You can check if you live in the National Park by following this link.

    If you live in one of the following Delegated Areas, you will need to contact your local authority:


  • Is it unlawful to carry out development without planning permission?

    On certain properties, such as listed buildings, it might be a criminal offence to carry out development without planning permission. If the works are considered to be unacceptable by the Authority and the development cannot be dealt with by the means of a retrospective planning application or one is refused, then the Authority may take formal action.

    This could result in the development being changed or completely removed. Some unauthorised developments which include, listed buildings, unauthorised advertisements, and works to trees are criminal offences and may result in prosecution by the Authority if considered to be harmful, unacceptable or it is expedient and in the public interest to pursue. 


"The Downs...too much for one pair of eyes, enough to float a whole population in happiness."