Some people find the idea of a website storing information on their computer or mobile device a bit intrusive, particularly when this information is stored and used by a third party without them knowing. Although this is generally quite harmless you may not, for example, want to see advertising that has been targeted to your interests. If you prefer, it is possible to block some or all cookies, or even to delete cookies that have already been set; but you need to be aware that you might lose some functions of that website.

Contact Us

Where to Find Us

Please note, due to the coronavirus pandemic, the South Downs Centre is currently closed.

You can find out more about how the South Downs National Park Authority is operating here

South Downs National Park Authority has ranger area offices throughout the National Park with our main administrative offices being at the South Downs Centre in Midhurst.

Directions to the South Downs Centre

South Downs Centre
North Street
West Sussex
GU29 9DH

01730 814810

Opening hours:

Monday to Thursday:  09:00-17:00
Friday: 09:00-16:30
Saturday & Bank Holidays*: 09:00-13:00

(*summer opening for visitor information and exhibition only, from Easter to end of October)

Get in Touch

We aim to deal with all enquiries as quickly as possible. Please help us by contacting the area that most closely matches your question, so that your message gets to the right person as quickly as possible.

General Enquiries

For general enquiries, please contact us at or call our main switchboard on 01730 814810.

Planning Enquiries

If you have a query about a planning matter, please contact us at

Press office contacts

All media enquiries about the South Downs National Park should be directed to the Press Office,

Jeff Travis, Media and Public Relations Officer
01730 819252 or 07557 853277

Ruth James, Head of Communications and Engagement
01730 819251 or 07956 664759

Recruitment Enquiries

To enquire about work experience, or working for the SDNPA, please contact us at

Volunteering Enquiries

If you are interested in volunteering, please contact us at providing your name, address and availability

Other useful contacts

Forestry Commission

Visit their website for information on reporting unlicensed tree felling

Environment Agency

Responsible for:

  • regulating major industry and waste;
  • treatment of contaminated land;
  • water quality and resources;
  • fisheries;
  • inland river, estuary and harbour navigations;conservation and ecology; and
  • managing the risk of flooding from main rivers, reservoirs, estuaries and the sea.

Visit their website (scroll down their page for all contact information)

Natural England

Responsible for:

  • helping land managers and farmers protect wildlife and landscapes;
  • advising on the protection of the marine environment in inshore waters (0 to 12 nautical miles);
  • improving public access to the coastline;
  • managing 140 National Nature Reserves and supporting National Trails;
  • providing planning advice and wildlife licences through the planning system;
  • managing programmes that help restore or recreate wildlife habitats;
  • conserving and enhancing the landscape;
  • providing evidence to help make decisions affecting the natural environment.

You can also contact them for advice on:

  • Bats: general advice
  • Bovine TB and badger control in England
  • Camping and caravanning exemption certificates
  • Commons
  • National Nature Reserves
  • Open Access Contact Centre
  • Suspected wildlife or pesticide poisoning

Visit their website for contacts

Rights Of Way

For any other right of way issue please contact the relevant County Council within the National Park:


For issues with highways please contact the relevent Highway Authority within the National Park:

Flood Authorities

Lead local flood authorities (LLFAs) are responsible for managing the risk of flooding from surface water, groundwater and ordinary watercourses and lead on community recovery.

Historic England

Are able to offer an extensive range of expert advice and guidance to help you care for and protect historic places.

Visit their website to find out more.