South Downs Youth Action
Welcome to our South Downs Youth Action page where you can learn about how young people aged 16-25 can get involved in the South Downs National Park’s volunteering programme.
While urgent action is needed at the national and international level to stem carbon emissions, reduce pollution and protect wildlife, local action is just as important for setting a good example for others to follow and this is what Youth Action Days are all about.
South Downs Youth Action for anyone aged between 16 and 25 who is passionate about making a difference for the environment and is looking to learn practical skills for helping us to conserve and enhance the South Downs National Park.
What’s coming later in the year?
- Autumn/Winter 2019: The Heathlands Reunited project will be holding a day forum for young people to help shape an upcoming volunteering programme – details to be confirmed shortly
- February 2020: We’re putting together plans for a February half-term South Downs Youth Action programme – watch this space!
- Summer 2020: We’re looking to hold another summer programme of South Downs Youth Action – stay in touch!
- We’re also planning a Heathland Reunited-focused series of activities – so stay tuned…
How do I get involved in volunteering?
There are loads of ways to get involved:
- Sign up to the South Downs Youth Action mailing list and get involved in an action day (email Daniel.Greenwood@southdowns.gov.uk)
- Become a micro-volunteer and give a little bit of your time for the National Park without having to sign up to anything
- Have a look at our volunteering map Lots of environmental and historic conservation organisations across the National Park are looking for volunteers, see what opportunities there are on our volunteering map.
- Check for vacancies within the Volunteer Ranger Service
- Help promote the South Downs National Park online. Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook and encourage your friends to do the same
South Downs Youth Action (SDYA) is a youth volunteer programme run by the South Downs National Park Authority. We run volunteering sessions for young people aged 16-25. The sessions last for about 4 hours. Our volunteers are looking for the following things:
- To make a difference for the environment
- Get experience towards a career
- Meet new people
- Support a college or university course
- Try something new
- Experience the South Downs
Why South Downs Youth Action?
We know that young people are passionate about nature and the environment, perhaps like never before in history. We want to ensure that young people are given the chance to get involved with the amazing range of activities happening in the South Downs National Park.
From speaking to youth volunteers we know that young people are looking for dynamic, fun and varied activities which do not involve are flexible yet worthwhile.
We are in the early stages of developing South Downs Youth Action and we want young people to help us steer the direction of youth action in the South Downs.
Who runs South Downs Youth Action?
South Downs Youth Action is organised by the South Downs National Park Authority volunteering team. The activities are led by our ranger teams and project staff who have a wealth of experience and knowledge in areas such as wildlife conservation, land management, cultural heritage, access to the countryside and environmental campaigning.
What are Youth Ambassadors?
In September 2018 at the launch of the EUROPARC Youth Manifesto, we created a new volunteer role for people aged 16-25 – Youth Ambassador. Our Youth Ambassadors have done takeovers on the South Downs National Park Instagram and Twitter accounts to promote micro-volunteering, written articles for our website, for publications and local newspapers and delivered a talk at a Brighton University symposium focusing on young people and nature in the UK.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Youth Ambassador please email: Daniel.Greenwood@southdowns.gov.uk
Do you provide travel expenses?
Yes! We will reimburse all reasonable public transport expenses incurred by your volunteering.
We hope to see you out there soon in the South Downs!