Make a difference and join South Downs National Park’s Citizens Panel
The South Downs Citizens Panel is looking for new members. Tanya Hibberd, Performance and Research Lead, explains why becoming a panel member is a small commitment that can have a big impact.
No matter how much you already know about the South Downs National Park, you can play a part in decisions made about its care and how more people can enjoy it.
Since 2017, over 1,600 people, living in or near the National Park (living in the postcode areas BN, GU, PO, RH and SO) have already joined the panel and work with the National Park Authority on key decisions.
Panel members are asked for their feedback on a range of things to help the Authority understand residents’ views. This enables us to:
- Improve the information we provide about activities and events in the National Park
- Improve the volunteering or community work party opportunities we and our partners can offer
- Determine what issues are of importance to local residents; this can then feed into our work
- Define what the Authority and partners can do to improve peoples’ health and wellbeing
- Raise awareness of our key campaigns.
We ask panel members to take part in two surveys a year and they may also be invited to take part in one off smaller surveys or focus groups. There is a prize draw entry to win £50 for each survey completed.
We have had some lovely positive feedback from people who joined the Citizens Panel about why they wanted to get onboard. One told us: “Having an opportunity to help develop more awareness of the South Downs National Park and the benefits enjoying the countryside brings.”
So, if you’re interested in becoming a panel member, we’d love to hear from you!
If you are interested in finding out more about the Citizens Panel, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also keep up-to-date at our webpage www.southdowns.gov.uk/citizens-panel