The South Downs has something for every kind of cyclist to enjoy and explore. As well as the famous South Downs Way to explore there are 1,200 km of car-free bridleways across the National Park, miles of leafy country lanes and old railway trails including the Downs Link and Centurions Way.
The 160km long South Downs Way is the only UK’s National Trail which is fully traversable by bike and there are many ways to enjoy it. You could ride along the ridge to reach Ditchling Beacon and enjoy the view or cycle along the Hampshire Hangers and single track mountain bike trails at Queen Elizabeth Country Park. Take a look at our interactive Discovery Map to get ideas for places to explore by bike.
With so many tracks, trails and leafy lanes to discover and great places to stop for locally produced food and drink there’s never been a better time to discover the South Downs by bike. Check out our Discovery Rides which have been getting people from the borders of the National Park out and exploring by cycle.
Join in the new GeoTour treasure hunt
There are 30 secret geocaches hidden across the National Park and over half of them can be reached by bike– why not get out and about to find them! Use your mobile phone or GPS to guide you, get stamps in your Geotour passport, collect bonus points for travelling sustainably or eating locally to claim a special geocoin prize.
Find out more at www.southdowns.gov.uk/geocaching
Hire a Bike
If you don’t own a bike why not hire one. There are lots cycle hire companies across the National Park with a range of bikes available to get all ages back in the saddle and exploring the South Downs.
Here’s a list of places to hire in the South Downs
- Bespoke Biking, Winchester – 07920 776994
- Meon Springs, East Meon – 01730 823134
- Alice Holt, Farnham – 01420 521297
- All Ride Now, Midhurst – 01730 817563
- Midhurst Bike Repair, Midhurst – 07765 776454
- Summit Bikes, Selsey – 01243 697547
- Cyclelife Shoreham – 01273 596368
- Cycle Brighton – 01273 567733
- Electric Bikes Sussex, Brighton – 01273 625060
- Hassocks Community Cycle Hire, Hassocks – 07521 961909
- South Downs Way Bike Hire, Housedean Farm – 07919 668816
- Seven Sisters Cycle Co., Exceat – 01323 870310
- Let’s Bike Eastbourne – 07875 591648
- Walk & Cycle – 01730 266432
- Southwater Cycles – 01403 732561
- Coastal Cycles – 01903 730089
For a taster of South Downs cycling try one of our circular Ride leaflets.
- South Downs Way Mountain Bike Guide
- Meon Valley Trail
- Centurion Way
- Cycle Rides around the River Itchen
- Cycle Rides near Amberley and Bignor Hill
- Cycle Rides near Lewes and Falmer
- Cycle Rides near Petersfield and Rowlands Castle